Coordinate with other modes
Improvements to pedestrian and bicycle connections to transit stops can increase the willingness of travelers to choose transit and the distance their willing to travel. These linkages can help make that critical last-mile connection between transit station and trip destination.
Improvements to pedestrian connections
Provision of a comprehensive network of safe, comfortable and secure paths for pedestrians
- The sidewalk network
- Sufficient safe street crossings
- Protection from the elements, i.e. shade trees
For discussion of pedestrian environment at station, see Improvements to out-of-vehicle experience for transit users sections
Improvements to Bicycle connections
Bicycles extend the range of transit riders from their point of origin to the transit station and then from the transit station to their destination.
- Lanes, parking and other infrastructure -- can encourage more individuals to use their bikes for last-mile connections to station and put more citizens within reach of transit stations.
- On-road treatments
- Parking at station
- Bike racks on buses
- Policies -- i.e. allowing carrying bikes on trains, designated train cars
- Value of land being used for parking
- Versus value of other uses for that land (residential, commercial, etc)
- Further reading: Center for Neighborhood Technology. "Paved Over: Surface Parking Lots or Opportunities for Tax-Generating, Sustainable Development?. 2005